Monday 7 January 2013

My Disney Cruise - Part 1

Last week I talked about my Disney wedding.  This week, I'll begin part one of a three-part series about my Disney Cruise on the Disney Fantasy with my wonderful husband Scott.  I've decided to break it down over three weeks because there is so many things to talk about that I don't want anyone to get overwhelmed by all of it but at the same time, I want to share all of my experiences.

This week, I'm going to talk about the atmosphere and my first impression of the ship, as well the staterooms and cast members.

The Atmosphere/My First Impression

I will never forget the way I felt as I took my first steps onto the Disney Fantasy.  There were two cast members on either side of the double doors, announcing each family as they took their first steps into the lobby of this magnificent ship.  I had just been married two days before, so to be announced onto this ship by new married name was extra special.  I had seen pictures of it but it was so much bigger, grander than I could have ever imagined.
Scott and I at the staircase in the main lobby
Photo from personal collection
There were many wonderful things in the three story lobby alone, including a beautiful chandelier, which was the focal point of the room.
The Chandelier
Photo from personal collection
After we left the lobby, we began to explore what would be our home for the next week.  Walking through the halls, you could hear Disney music everywhere.  It wasn't too loud but you could hear it as a nice, soft background music and it really created a nice environment.  One other thing about walking all over the ship that I really enjoyed were all the paintings.  Everywhere you looked you saw something and they were all meaningful pieces that helped set the Disney tone.
Beast's Castle Painting
Photo from personal collection
Some of them even moved when you stood in front of them which I thought was a nice interactive touch.
Moving Ariel Painting
Photo from personal collection
Overall, I could not believe what I was seeing.  The whole ship was incredibly beautiful and I felt like I was dreaming just being on it.  I could tell that this was going to be a memorable experience right from the very start.

Staterooms

After exploring the ship, it was time to settle into our room for the week.  We had chosen a Deluxe Family Oceanview room.  As the name implies we had a great view from our porthole window and it came with seating.
Reading our Daily Navigator while laying on our viewport bench
Photo from personal collection
It also had a nice couch and long desk with dresser drawers, which provided plenty of storage space.
The couch in our room
Photo from personal collection
However, the highlight of the whole room was the bed.  It was without a doubt the most comfortable bed my husband and I have ever slept on.  It was like sleeping on a very supportive but very light, fluffy cloud.
Our comfy bed
Photo from personal collection
When it came to our stateroom, I couldn't have asked for better.  The room we had was mid price range, there were rooms with inside portholes and rooms with verandas.  This one suited our needs just fine, but considering the type of ship this is, I think we could have easily been happy no matter what our room.

Cast Members

Cast members, or employees, work very hard at Disney and they do it all with a smile.  From the housekeepers, to the lifeguards, to the servers and everyone else, every Disney cast member plays a role in ensuring all guests are happy.  They will answer any questions guests may have, or at the very least be able to direct guests to someone who can help them.  They have great personalities and you can tell that they are here because they want to be.  Scott and I talked to many of them and each and every one was interested and did everything they could to ensure we were having the best time.

One interesting thing about Disney cast members, which goes for all of them, including ones in theme parks and resorts, is that they wear name tags which states where they are from.  We saw so many countries represented and it really brings forth Disney's idea of celebrating diversity.  It was great to be able to talk to people from all of these places who are all being brought together by one common thing, the love of Disney.

On our cruise, we met so many wonderful cast members and we will forever be grateful for them for providing us our perfect honeymoon.
Cast members and passangers celebrating at the Sail Away Party
Photo from personal collection
So that sums up part one of my Disney Cruise Honeymoon.  Be sure to check back next week for part two, where I'll talk about character greetings, the Aquaduck and pools and the daily navigator.

No comments:

Post a Comment