Monday 24 December 2012

Top 5 Ways to Celebrate The Holidays Disney Style

Merry Christmas Disney fans!! It's that time of year of year again and although it seems the holidays are always changing, at least for me, there are some things I enjoy keeping the same.  One of those would be making sure that I can enjoy some Disney no matter where I am.  Here some simple ways that I enjoy a fun Disney Christmas and Holiday Season.

Top 5 Ways to Celebrate Christmas Disney Style

1) Watch Disney Movies - This is the perfect way to get into a cheerful mood, no matter what time of year.  However, this is especially true during the holiday season.  While any Disney movie will do, it is nice to enjoy some Christmas ones.  There are a couple Disney ones based on the classic Charles Dickens' novel, A Christmas Carol, that are real classics.  A Muppet Christmas Carol and Mickey's Christmas Carol are two of the best retellings of the story.  I grew up with both of these as a child and they're both entertaining and present the story with a nice touch of Disney magic. 

Other animated Christmas movies worth checking out would be The Nightmare Before Christmas and Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.  However, my favourite Disney Christmas movies are the live action ones, most notably The Santa Clause 1 through 3.  Tim Allen as Santa Claus works well and I always try to catch all three every holiday season.  I also enjoy I'll Be Home For Christmas, starring a couple of my favourite 90s stars, Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Jessica Biel.  So as you can see there are plenty of choices.

2. Use Disney Christmas Ornaments - Now that you're in the Christmas mood, it's time to set up the tree.  And why not add a little Disney to it?  I have a growing collection of beautiful Disney ornaments on mine.  There are so many different types that you can get, from simple ones to highly detailed ones and for every price range. 

Here are some of my favourites from my personal collection:
- A Snow White Ball
- A Mickey and Minnie Frame that says 2009 with a picture of my husband and I in it - it was from our first Christmas together
- Pocahontas and John Smith sitting together
- Disney Princess Balls
- Magician Mickey
- Beauty and the Beast - from their ballroom scene, it's one I actually keep out year round
- Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship - as a reminder of the cruise my husband and I took this past summer

3. Give Disney Gifts - So now that we're in the spirit and we've got our tree up, it's time to get some gifts to put under it.  There are perfect gifts you can get for people of all ages that have a little Disney touch.  And best of all, you can get them anytime of year.  For example, when my husband and I took our Disney Cruise, we picked up a couple unique gifts for our loved ones.  Gifts that will not only show some Disney spirit, but also ones that will be unique since they came from a very specific place.  However, anything with a nice Disney touch can put a smile on someone's face.  T-shirts and mugs are great ideas and I've given a few out over the years.  In fact, one year I gave my Dad and future husband the same Goofy t-shirt, since they both really like Goofy.  In fact, my husband likes Goofy so much, that my mother gave him an old framed picture of her with Goofy from her trip to Disney World in the 80s.

Another way to go is add some Disney to your Secret Santa gifts.  For the past two years, the people who've had my name have both picked out some great Disney gifts for me - including classic Mickey and Minnie plush dolls, as well as pens and a nice glass.  Those are just a couple of great ideas that can work well for any Disney fan. 


4. Watch the Disney Christmas Parade on Christmas Day - This is something I look forward to every year!  There is no parade like a Disney parade and they go all out to make it magical.  During my two trips to Disney World, I was able to watch a few parades and they were great - all of my favourite characters were there; dancing, singing, waving to the crowd.  It's a happiness that is so contagious that if it could be bottled up it could cheer up even the most miserable Scrooge.

This year the parade will air from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M. in my time zone of Atlantic, or 10 A.M. to 12 P.M. EST on ABC or at 12:10 P.M on CBC in Canada, no matter what your time zone.  Nick Cannon, Maria Menounos and Mario Lopez will be hosting the event, featuring headlining musical act Lady Antebellum, as well as other performers such as Phillip Phillips, Colbie Caillat, Backstreet Boys and many more.  Plus Mickey and the gang will be there, ready to celebrate with the best Christmas cheer.  So gather your friends and family and don't miss out on this wonderful annual parade.

5. Cook and Bake Disney Style - This one is great to do all year long, but especially during the holidays.  By adding a little Disney touch, you can also add a whole lot of magic.  There are a couple ways you can cook and bake Disney style.  The first would be to shape your food into the classic Mickey head shape.  This can be done with cookies, pancakes, cakes, eggs, fruits, vegetables, just about anything you can think of, really.  It's something that you can do as simple or as fancy as you would like.

This year I'm going to try something new, along with the help of my husband, who is a chef.  While on our Disney Fantasy Cruise this past summer, we purchased a cookbook titled Cooking With Mickey and the Disney Chefs, which feature actual recipes that are used by real Disney chefs in Disney World, Disneyland and the Disney Cruise Line.  By making things that we would get if we were actually in the happiest places on earth, it will help re-create that special environment.  However, you don't have to go on a Disney vacation to find the recipes used by Disney Chefs.  You can find the books online, as well as individual recipes.

And when it comes to the food that Disney prepares, Lumiere says, "Our dinner here is never second best." And he is right, I have yet to experience anything from a Disney kitchen that isn't mouth watering and has a perfect appearance, taste and texture.  It's making me hungry just thinking about it. 

Bonus:

Spending Christmas in Disney World - this one is a bonus because I have done the other 5 but have yet to achieve this one. It's always a great day to be in Disney world or Disneyland or even on a Disney cruise but the magic you would get at Christmas time would be extra special. So for now this will be on my to-do list. However if anyone wants to send me to Disney world for Christmas, I certainly wouldn't object ;)

Those are my simple ways to enjoy a Disney holiday season.  No matter what your traditions, you can always find a way to work some Disney magic in.  The most important thing is to appreciate all the love that is right around you.  It's everywhere and it really is the season and the time to look at all that you have and be thankful for what the year has brought you. 

So from my family to yours, have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!

Photo Courtesy of Daekazu on DeviantArt

No comments:

Post a Comment